I agree that providing videos on "how to" is probably one of the most effective ways to teach something. Posed the question, why are videos effective in teaching how to do something? I think there are a few good reasons:
-Videos reach a number of learners--especially visual and audio learners
-Videos help students with learning difficulties. Examples include: If a learner has hearing difficulties, then he or she can watch the video. If a person has visual difficulties, then they can hear the video.
-It's similar to having a manual with pictures (IKEA is an example). If a movement, such as tying a bow, is difficult to envision, then the video shows you the different steps.
Personally, I have found Chris's workshops posted online very helpful, because he shows "how to" by talking through the steps while the screen shows the actual computer screen and what you should click.
http://labs.systemone.at/retrievr/
Of all the different tools, I thought this one was a really good idea! It's one thing to say that not everyone thinks in words or text, but it's another to really provide all sorts of functions using UDL! This is a great way to retrieve images, by searching with images! Although...it makes it a bit difficult for people who don't have an artistic streak, and also for those with limited hand coordination.
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment