The Thinking Reader: While I definitely appreciate providing the options for different types of learners with the tools offered in the Thinking Reader, I have a couple of questions:
-Aren't there assumptions that people who need to make text larger because of visual needs can see the enlarging button in the first place?
-If we apply the analogy of exercise, what happens with the following situation: a potentially or high level reader is distracted by the different functions or prefers to listen as opposed to read (and therefore does not practice reading or strengthen their reading)? --Turn off the option? But how do you, as a teacher or parent, control that? Do we assume that students are looking to improve their reading (and that they're not resistant to challenging themselves)?
-The word fragment is highlighted and defined, but an English Language Learner may have trouble with "ritual" and not fragment. The bias here is the words chosen. But, the visual representation of
-I'm interested in the overall implementation of this option--who is it accessible to, how is it accessed, etc?
Overall though, I appreciate the Thinking Reader's ability to help students who may not otherwise ask for help, and the stratification of supported learning challenges.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT and the National Consortium for UDL:
After looking at all of this week's different tools and user-friendly technologies, I've realized that accessible learning materials should be far more 'accessible'. It is great that these different tools (ie: WiggleWorks, Thinking Reader, etc.) are available--but the knowledge of these tools is somewhat limited among the teaching population. There should be increased marketing and a bigger push to get these materials into the general teaching society.
"Imagery in sentence comprehension: an fMRI study" (Marcel Adam Just, Sharlene Newman, etc.)
-I find it so interesting that brain images show that comprehension of abstract nonimaginal information happens in the left and middle temporal areas, and that the "left temporal region also reveal[s] greater functional connectivity"--it shows the influence and connection between language and the brain.
-The visual and auditory experiments provide evidence for for promoting UDL.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Stephanie, You have asked some really excellent questions! I think teachers have the expertise to decide on appropriate options for students based on their knowledge of an individuals zone of proximal development. You make a good point on the words that are chosen for the glossary also. We need to try to be sensitive the background knowledge that ELL students need scaffolded in order to comprehend text. I sense that you are really thinking deeply about UDL and the implications for education.
concerning your thought about assuming someone can see the button to enlarge text in thinking reader...perhaps not a perfect solution, but the teacher can help them set it up to fit their needs (as they might need to do for many students). Since the software is a tool, and not intended to *replace* the teacher...
Also, students with vision limitations could probably learn pretty quickly the location of the button even if they can't read it. At least, that is my guess, after finding that I can install software, set up networks, etc. in many languages (except for English, none of which I know!) just because the icons and order are consistent.
Some screen readers have the ability to read buttons and options also, though the ones that do this best are (obviously) more expensive...
just some thoughts...
Post a Comment